In honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday this Friday and the monumental moment of weaning Tess this week I wrote this poem:
I am Beth
Beth-I-am
That nurse a baby
I do not like
That nurse a baby.
Do you like
to nurse a baby?
I do not like to
here or there.
I do not like to anywhere.
I do not like to nurse a baby.
Not on a train, not on a plane.
I could not, would not on a boat.
I will not, will not without a coat.
Not in the tube it will show my boob.
Not in a car, not on stairs
I do not like to in a chair.
I do not like to here or there. I do not like to ANYWHERE!
I do not like to
nurse a baby!
If you will let me be,
I will try to.
You will see.
Say!
I can nurse a baby!
I can!
I can nurse a baby, Beth-I-am!
And I did on a train, and on several planes
I did on a boat, many times without a coat.
I did on the tube, people might have seen my boob
In a car, and on stairs (on ancient ruins in Mexico and at the London Museum of Art)
I did it on chairs.
I did it here and there. I did it EVERYWHERE!
I can
nurse a baby.
Thank you!
Thank you,
Beth-I-am.
8 comments:
The poem was awesome! You're awesome!
Ha! That is hilarious. Congrats on being done though- it is hard to give it up but also so awesome (it was for me anyway.) So hooray for new freedom!!!
Loved it.
When is this being published? I would love to explain it to Gabby as I read her a story in bed. :) Although, I am not sure my Ode to Nursing would end with quite the same moral, since I could not in fact nurse my own children successfully, no matter where I tried....
It is a great feeling to be done nursing and I loved the poem - I think you summed it up perfectly. I am also very impressed with your Valentine Craftiness!! So cute. I was thinking the other day that I am very sad we didn't take a picture together last summer. Maybe this summer?
Beth,
Your poem brings back fond memories of my nursing days too. I loved your humor and creativity. Hooray for the freedom you will have but still miss that "snuggle" time with Tess. Don't stop that. She will always like that at least.
Ha, very clever! Ironically today, I put away my nursing bra. I'm all torn up at the prospect. One minute ecstatic the next sad. So be it...the end of a chapter. Good work on your great efforts of feeding that darling little diva! It is so fun to see them love new foods right? We let Pearce try a bite of ice cream recently...he liked it...who knew. :)
I'm a little behind, but this was great!!
Post a Comment